Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Review: Initiate (The Unfinished Song #1)


The initiation ceremony is the gateway to ultimate power...or death. A DETERMINED GIRL Dindi can't do anything right, maybe because she spends more time dancing with pixies than doing her chores. Her clan hopes to marry her off and settle her down, but she dreams of becoming a Tavaedi, one of the powerful warrior-dancers whose secret magics are revealed only to those who pass a mysterious Test during the Initiation ceremony. The problem? No-one in Dindi's clan has ever passed the Test. Her grandmother died trying. But Dindi has a plan... AN EXILED WARRIOR Kavio is the most powerful warrior-dancer in Faearth, but when he is exiled from the tribehold for a crime he didn't commit, he decides to shed his old life. If roving cannibals and hexers don't kill him first, this is his chance to escape the shadow of his father's wars and his mother's curse. But when he rescues a young Initiate girl, he finds himself drawn into as deadly a plot as any he left behind. He must decide whether to walk away or fight for her... assuming she would even accept the help of an exile.

My Review:
I was very excited to read this book, I love everything I've read about the fae..  This book is unlike any fae stories I've ever read and honestly, I had a hard time getting into it.  There are quite a few story lines within the one main story and it was a bit difficult to keep it all straight, not to mention the fae in this book are different from the "faeries" I usually read about.  It is set in a tribal type time period and was almost confusing in the beginning, trying to remember who certain characters were and what their particular story was. 
That being said, I was not bored with the book, if I had been, I probably wouldn't have finished it and I would have missed out on a pretty good story.  I kept pushing through it because, despite not being sure I had them all straight, I was intrigued to know what would happen next with the characters and how they would all intersect.  I'm glad I finished it, because I actually ended up liking the book. Dindi is (I'm honestly not sure exactly what), but she is at the age that her people go through an initiation into adulthood.  Very few lucky ones are chosen to be Tavaedi and the rest are set to become (in the female's cases) wives and mothers.  Dindi has always wanted nothing but to be chosen..  The big problem?  No one in her family has been chosen before, ever.   She is a girl that most see as "flighty" and destined to be nothing more than common, and not exactly a "catch" for their sons to marry, either.  
The story follows her through her trek to initiation and through the process itself; along with other key characters, including Kavio (love interest? we will see..).  He is a powerful warrior & dancer of his tribe, exiled for crimes he isn't fully responsible for.  He saves Dindi's life and then again crosses her path during the initiation, saving many lives.  
The book ends on a huge cliff-hanger that has me itching to read the next one.  Although it was a slow start, I did enjoy the book and I believe the sequel will be quite good.  I recommend that anyone who reads it just push through if you find yourself unsure of it at first, it is well worth it!
I give this book 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment