Friday, December 2, 2011

The Joys of Parenthood!

I have two boys, ages 10 and 4 and a 3 year old niece that is with us a lot.. I know I've said this before, but this is for those who haven't read my previous posts..  They fight all the time, especially the boys!  The 3 and 4 yr olds together are a mess!  They get into anything and everything, and some of the things they do amazes me!  I came home Wednesday night from work and they were in my 4 yr old's bedroom, not fighting, so I didn't go check on them because I knew I was about to leave again to get pizza (I didn't feel like cooking) and they'd want to go with me.  When I called them in to the kitchen to eat, I noticed something bluish on their faces, I asked what it was and my niece said "water".. yeah right!  It reminded me of Thanksgiving night, when they got into my 10 yr old's paintballs and had orange all over them.  I decided to check out the bedroom, WOW!!  They had been in the bathroom and gotten the older one's toothbrush and all of the toothpaste, found some markers and went to town on the wall, closet door, and dresser!!  I'm guessing they got the toothpaste because they have used up all of the handsoap in the house and that  was the next best thing.  I looked closer and they both had toothpaste all in their hair!  I constantly ask myself why my kids get in to so much!  I know it sounds like they are not watched well, and maybe in this instant that's true.. My husband and my brother were outside and they pretty much had free reign, but on other occasions, they can master this type of damage in 5 minutes or less!  This little stunt now has some sort of "artwork" on 3 of the 4 walls in his bedroom!  It's time to introduce them to the magic erasers, no way am I just going to clean this up for them!  They try me on a regular basis, I used to not bother them too much if they weren't fighting, because they fought all the time, if they were getting along, I didn't care how many toys were scattered in the room, they can always pick them up.. But, now I guess I will have to worry more if they aren't fighting!
 
I had a student a few years ago at the hospital I worked at, she used to share stories of the wild things her son had done at this age, her favorite thing to tell herself was "this is a sign of intelligence!"  This has stuck with me all these years and now I find myself repeating it over and over and praying that this is true!  So, for all you parents out there, if your little one does things you think no other child does, just repeat this phrase to yourself, and remember, it does get better!  At least I hope so!!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment