Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Ascend Review

by
Third and final book in the Trylle Trilogy.

With a war looming on the horizon, Wendy’s fate seems sealed.

But everything she sacrificed might be in vain if she can’t save the ones she loves.

Her whole life has been leading up to this, and it’s all coming to an end.
My Review (spoiler alert):
In my review of Torn, I mentioned that I had a few ideas how things were going to work out (or at least how I thought they should), I couldn't have been further from the real story!  I thought Wendy would, of course, save the kingdom, annul  her marriage with Tove, get the awful laws changed, and marry Finn..  Of course that completely wrapped up little fairy tale in my head was just that..  The real story had much more depth and was definitely more interesting.  I think I learned something that I can apply if I ever get my book written.  I can understand Wendy and Loki being together, it makes perfect sense, and they truly love each other, but I have to say I'm still a bit sad, I just loved Finn!  Amanda did a wonderful job tying everything together at the end, there was plenty of drama and action that kept the story moving, and I liked the ending much better than the one I had thought up!  I liked that everything didn't just magically and automatically get perfect, the ending left us with the understanding that Wendy was working on and making progress on getting the laws changed, and making their way of life better.  It let us know everyone was on their way to doing quite well, and even Finn had a possible new love interest.  I would however like to see a new novella that gave us a peek into the future of all of the characters, including the baby, Finn, Tove and Matt and Willa..  Not because the ending didn't wrap it up well enough, it did.. but because, like all of my favorite books, I just want the story to keep going.  I hate to see a story end, because I love the characters and want to keep reading about them, this trilogy is definitely one of those stories!  
I had to give it 4 stars, but only because I'm still pouting over Wendy not ending up with Finn, although I completely agree with her being with Loki.. if that makes sense.. =} 

2 comments:

  1. I just love your book reviews! This one has really caught my attention. You do an amazing job of adding just enough detail to let the potential reader know whether or not they're interested or not. :) Nice!

    I'm your newest follower as of right now. :) I can't wait to see more of your book reviews!

    PS. Gorgeous site layout!

    Warm wishes,
    Kendra from Ribbons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kendra, for your great comment! It's nice to know someone likes my reviews.. I'm new at this and wasn't sure if it was at all interesting!

    ReplyDelete